Thursday 29 September 2016

37 — Octopus


This is the same species of octopus I posted earlier in this blog, but this video was taken last year. This particular octopus was among the  rocks beside Pilot Wharf, Mt. Maunganui and did some interesting colour changes.

This video next is really cool. It was taken earlier this year at Piha, west coast of Auckland. As far as I can tell, it's the same species of octopus. I was taking pictures of small invertebrates in seaweed at a place called the Blue Pool, at south piha with I felt something brush my leg. I jumped, as I thought it might be a crab. But when I looked down there was nothing there. I carried on taking pictures and then it happened again, I looked down, but there was nothing again. The third time I looked, I saw this long tentacle reaching out from under an overhanging ledge in the pool; uncoiling, just far enough to touch my foot.

Then, I pointed the camera under the ledge and captured this piece of video. Literally, I couldn't see what I was filming, so I was very pleasantly surprised to get video the octopus catching and eating a paddle crab. I  think it's really interesting how the octopus immobilises the crabs claws (Its only defensive weapons) early on...

No comments:

Post a Comment